Do you have a holiday shopping list a mile long? Are you worried about what gift to get your young actor, your favourite playwright, or your uncle the director? Are you totally clueless when it comes to theatrical gift-giving? Well, I’m here to help you out! Here are a whole bunch of fun theatre-themed gifts… and be sure to make the wrapping big and sparkly!
- Broadway on DVD — There are so many choices! Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Rent, The Sound of Music, Memphis, Sweeney Todd…
- Broadway cast albums — Again, a million choices! Be sure to ask what your theatre person’s favourite show is.
- Sheet music from their favourite show.
- Tickets to an upcoming production, or even better, a subscription to your local theatre.
- Lessons, workshops and classes! Search your city for dance classes, vocal lessons, acting classes, improv classes… whatever they love to do!
- New dance shoes — ballet slippers, black jazz shoes, tap shoes, character shoes…
- A karaoke machine full of showtunes!
- For the big spender… a trip to New York City to see Broadway shows… or to London, England to hit up the West End!
- Be A Broadway Star boardgame
- Cute theatre-themed pillows
- A Keep Calm and Love Theatre print — this one has 56 colour options!
- For the costume designer, prop builder, mask-maker or puppeteer: gift cards to Michaels, Jo-Ann or Hobby Lobby (to stock up on supplies!)
- For the stage manager: customized pencils, for when actors steal them from their SM kit. While you’re at it, help the SM in your life re-fill their kit with office supplies like sharpie markers, Post-Its, and various kinds of tape, or gift cards to Staples.
- Also for the SM: gaffer’s tape, in a multitude of colours.
- Here’s a cute stocking stuffer: buttons with theatre sayings on them, like “Sorry boys, I only date actors,” “Peace, love and drama” and “I’m kind of a big deal on stage!”
- A puppet theatre! Here’s a cute striped one that hangs in a doorway, and this one is big-top circus themed.
- A super-cute Playbill-themed charm bracelet, or this pretty vintage-style one.
- Adorable Playbill-themed earrings. I’d love an American Idiot pair!
- While I’m on the subject of American Idiot, the show is currently on tour… just sayin’.
- How about these awesome Broadway-themed Christmas tree ornaments?
- Or a Broadway-themed iPhone case?
- For the gamers: Dance on Broadway for Nintendo Wii or for PS3!
- For the chocoholic: Broadway Basketeers Gourmet Chocolate Gift Set. Droooooool…
- For the truly classy: a pair of opera glasses.
- A Lovely Way to Spend Christmas album by Kristen Chenoweth
- Comedy/tragedy mask 14k ring… beautiful.
- For the self-proclaimed “theatre nerd,” check out this cute silver necklace.
- If you’re a drama queen… share it loud and proud!
- For the stage combatant or fight director, you can’t go wrong with weapons from Reliks.
- Also for the stage combatant: classes at Sydney Stage Combat School or one of the many courses/workshops/intensives hosted by Art of Combat. Or how about admission to CombatCon?
Where to Shop
- The Playbill Store is an AMAZING online shop for everything Broadway-related! Albums, ornaments, books, sheet music, show souvenirs, clothing… the list goes on and on! And a number of items donate money to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. Check out the Playbill Store at http://www.playbillstore.com/
- Broadway.com also has a great online store! http://www.broadway.com/souvenirs/
- Ticketmaster for all your ticket needs. http://www.ticketmaster.com/
- If you’re in New York City and are looking for inexpensive Broadway and Off-Broadway tickets, TKTS should be your best friend. You can get TKTS gift certificates here: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56 (And if you’re totally clueless about Broadway, the site has an awesome Theatre 101 page for novice theatregoers!)
- Etsy has a ton of cute theatre-themed gift ideas! Just type in “theatre” in the search box! And you’re supporting independent artists and small businesses — even better! http://www.etsy.com
- And Amazon.com is always a great resource! http://www.amazon.com/
Got any great theatre-themed gift ideas for your loved ones? Share them in the comments!
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. I just think these would all make great gifts!
Want to read more fun stuff like this?
Click here to get updates from me and
exclusive surprises, straight to your inbox!
5 thoughts on “Ho Ho Ho! A Holiday Gift Guide for the Theatre People in Your Life”
pbs.org has a good supply of staged musicals (not movie musicals) on DVD from their Great Performances series. They have the amazing set called “Broadway: the American Musical” narrated by Julie Andrews, that’s a history of Broadway on DVDs, CDs, and a book!
I also love t-shirts that say, “I can’t, I have rehearsal” – perfect for all the folks who make theatre a priority over social lives.
I thought about the “I can’t, I have rehearsal” stuff too — can’t believe I forgot to post it!
A lot of great ideas- but a lot for girls. We have a lot of young men interested in theater, too!
Thanks for the tip, Brittany – I will look into updating this with more male-focused gift ideas!
What’s in the Actor 🎁🎄 Gift Pack? PerformerTrack. This is the #1 Actor Gift that any performer will use every day!