Confession time – I have a serious case of blogger’s block. I have no idea what to write tonight. So after staring at my blank WordPress screen for about an hour, I finally did a quick Google search for “theatre tag questions” and lo and behold, justamusicalgal came through for me! THANK YOU!
So read on for my answers to the musical theatre tag!
1. Plays or musicals?
I love both. I have directed more musicals than plays, but have acted in more plays than musicals. So I’ll answer thusly: if it tells a good story that appeals to me, it’s all good.
2. When did you start liking the performing arts?
I don’t remember a time when I didn’t like the performing arts. I did dance and baton from a very young age (like, four years old) and acting sort of came along naturally.
3. Ever been in a musical?
Only two in my life — The Nutcracker in grade 5, and The Rocky Horror Show in 2011. I’m appearing in A Charlie Brown Christmas in December and it has music in it, but I’m not sure if it counts as a musical or not, or if it’s more like a play with music.
4. What was the first musical you saw on Broadway?
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, starring Daniel Radcliffe, in 2011.
5. If you could be any female character in any musical who would you be?
Extraordinary Girl in American Idiot, Wednesday in The Addams Family
6. Which male character?
Any of the boys in American Idiot (Will/Tunny/Johnny/St. Jimmy), or Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera
7. Favourite musical song to sing in the shower?
Whatever happens to be in my head at the time… lately it’s pretty much anything from The Wedding Singer, for obvious reasons!
8. Who is your favorite theatre actress?
Celia Keenan-Bolger, Sutton Foster, Stockard Channing
Michael Esper, Stark Sands, Christian Borle
10. Favorite film adaptation of a musical?
Grease, Chicago, Rock of Ages, The Phantom of the Opera
11. What do you think is most overrated musical?
Mamma Mia. So not into it.
12. What musical made you cry?
13. What musical made you laugh?
The Drowsy Chaperone, How to Succeed…, Avenue Q, Spamalot
14. Are there any musicals you saw and hated?
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a musical that I truly hated. Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark was pretty meh, but I didn’t hate it. I wasn’t super into The Book of Mormon or Memphis when I saw them either, but I didn’t hate them.
15. What musical do you want to see as a film?
16. Which musicals are you dying to see?
Aladdin, Finding Neverland, Hedwig & The Angry Inch (wish I could have seen it with NPH), Matilda
17. What is your all time favourite musical?
American Idiot is right up there.
18. What would you do if theatre didn’t exist?
I refuse to think about a world without theatre.