Today is World Theatre Day!
For those of you not in the know, here’s a little rundown:
Created in 1961 by UNESCO, World Theatre Day is celebrated annually on March 27 by theatre communities around the globe. The impetus behind World Theatre Day is to celebrate the power of theatre as an indispensable bridge-builder for mutual international understanding and peace, and promote and protect cultural diversity and identity in communities throughout the world. World Theatre Day is an opportunity to recognize the creativity of theatre artists in cultures and communities around the world. (Source)
I definitely encourage everyone, to celebrate theatre in their lives, and go out and support the arts! So in honour of that, here are FIVE shows playing in London, Ontario tonight!
- 7:00 pm – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at Original Kids Theatre Company (tickets)
- 7:30 pm – The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at The Grand Theatre (tickets)
- 8:00 pm – White Rabbit, Red Rabbit (featuring the amazing Sarah Green tonight) at The ARTS Project, followed by a talkback (upper studio) (tickets)
- 8:00 pm – A View From the Roof at The ARTS Project (theatre) (tickets)
- 8:00 pm – Love, Loss and What I Wore at Procunier Hall, Palace Theatre (tickets)
Don’t forget that Gypsy opens tomorrow at the Palace Theatre as well! You might also consider giving a loved one a theatre-themed gift!
And since it’s Thursday, here’s a quick list of the recent theatrical things I’m thankful for!
- Fun rehearsals for Mrs. Ballyshannon’s School for Orphaned and Afflicted Girls Presents Jane Eyre (opens in May!)
- Going to Medieval Times for my birthday on March 22
- Seeing Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at OKTC yesterday (such a fun show)
- Performing in White Rabbit, Red Rabbit last night at The ARTS Project (so totally inspired to try to do a solo show of my own someday!)
- Baton twirling bootcamp at Beal this afternoon — go see The Music Man in May, presented by Beal Musical Theatre!
How are you going to celebrate World Theatre Day? Share your thoughts in the comments!