Since it’s the last day of 2013, I’ve been doing some serious thinking about all the things that happened this past year and looking forward to what I want to accomplish in 2014. Here are three things I’ve been doing to get myself set for the new year… I hope you’ll join me!
1. Reflecting on 2013.
I wrote this post yesterday going over all the awesomeness that was 2013, and I also made a video!
Have you made a list of all your accomplishments and happy moments in 2013? It’s totally worth it! Take some time and reminisce. Keep your list in a place where you’ll see it all the time, or share a video or photo album of all your special days on social media where everyone can see all the fun things that have gone on in your life so far!
2. Letting go.
While 2013 was definitely awesome, there were some crappy things that happened. That’s life! You have to take the good with the bad.
I attended a Winter Solstice celebration at Heaven Scent Holistic Spa & Shop on December 21. The Winter Solstice is the shortest day and longest night of the year, and celebrates the turning of the wheel of the year towards longer days and more sunshine. It’s a great day to let go of old “baggage” that’s weighing you down! Not only was it a lovely event with some super-nice ladies, it was an opportunity to share what we wanted to let go of in our lives, and what we wanted to bring into our lives.
This is something you can do on New Year’s Eve too, or any time you want to refresh yourself and your life. Make a list of the things that have been troubling you or holding you back, that you want to let go of in 2014. Some ideas might include letting go of:
- Negative body image
- Poor self-care habits (lack of exercise, not getting enough sleep, not drinking enough water, not sleeping enough, smoking)
- Toxic friends
- Laziness and procrastination
- Poor spending habits
Be gentle with yourself. This is not a time to bash yourself or drown in regrets. It’s simply acknowledgment.
Now take that list, and get rid of it. Tear it up, flush it down the toilet, burn it (safely!), bury it… make a physical action of letting go.
3. Taking action.
Now make a list of positive things that you’d like to bring into your life, such as:
- Amazing, supportive friends and family
- Strength (physical, emotional, mental)
- Forward movement (again, physical, emotional, mental)
Then take ONE tiny action RIGHT NOW towards those positive things.
- Want to drink more water? Get a fun water bottle or mug, and keep it beside your bed or at your desk so you can keep re-filling.
- Want to save money? Empty your pockets and put all your change in a jar every night when you get home from work.
- Want to be more fit? Go for a walk around the block.
- Want to re-kindle old friendships? Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a long time, just to say hello. (And then invite them for a walk. Two for the price of one!)
- Be sure to take some time to physically clean out your living space as well. Get rid of all the dust, dirt and debris from your home/room/workspace and get rid of all the clutter and crap that you don’t need as well (if your stuff is in good shape, donate it to a charity shop for people who do need that stuff!). Clear space = clear mind!
The list goes on and on! Veronica Varlow also has some awesome ideas on her blog about starting 2014 in a magical way… check it out! Don’t try to make massive changes all at once — most New Year’s resolutions don’t work because people get all stressed out and then give up because they can’t keep up with the huge life-changing plans they’ve set up for themselves. Making tiny changes will all add up into bigger changes in the long run!
So GOOD LUCK and best wishes for an AMAZING 2014!
What are your highlights from 2013? What things do you want to let go of, and what are you hoping to bring into your life in 2014? Share in the comments!